Saint-Pierre des Tripiers
The commune of Saint-Pierre des Tripiers is made up of a multitude of small hamlets straddling the Causse Méjean plateau and the Tarn and Jonte river Canyons. This wild territory hosts a wide variety of natural curiosities such as the Saint Peter’s Arches (Arcs Saint-Pierre), the Cave of the Dead Man, the China and Sèvres Vases. In the village of Truel, the house of vultures welcomes many tourists every year. The highest point of the village is the summit of Mount Buisson (1065 meters), where there is a protohistoric enclosure of Celtic origin which dates from the sixth century BC. This place would have been a place of worship. The village of Saint-Pierre des Tripiers developed in the Middle Ages around a Romanesque priory of which the Romanesque Saint Peter’s church remains.
At the top of Mount Buisson (1,065 m, the highest point of the municipality), northwest of Saint-Pierre, 1.5 km as the crow flies, remains a protohistoric wall of Celtic origin (6th century BC). AD), vestige of an oppidum. It would have been a place of worship, and the seat of a rustic temple.